On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Drew Van Zandt<drew.vanza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No idea what multiple people using it has to do with anything, as I forward
> only one UDP port through my router and have many people connected to
> my VPN.

  Tom is convinced that UDP through NAT causes instability in the
space-time continuum or something.  ;-)  He and I had a long argument
about it on this list once.  (As I understand it, his point was that
UDP, being unidirectional, doesn't guarantee that port numbers will be
symmetrical, and thus you can't count on UDP returning over NAT
reliably.  Which is true, so far as it goes.  My point was that in
practice, port numbers usually are symmetrical.  Certainly OpenVPN
works that way.)

  Since we're on the subject: It's generally recommended to avoid
tunneling TCP over TCP, which is what you end up doing if you run
OpenVPN over TCP.  It's often not a problem if the connection is
reliable, but if you encounter packet loss or congestion, both TCP
layers end up retrying together, which tends to compound the original
problem.

  Myself, I've never tried to run OpenVPN on a bitty box like a
LinkSys router.  CPU power would be my concern; crypto takes lots of
cycles.  But I can say OpenVPN is quite NAT friendly.  We've been
running it that way for years at work.

-- Ben