On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 09:29 -0400, Mark Komarinski wrote:
> On 08/25/2009 09:23 AM, jk...@kinz.org wrote:
> > Hi all - I notice that  comcast has dropped its dhcp lease times
> > down to about 15 minutes, it used to be a number of hours, which
> > is rather longer.   I wonder if its possible to somehow have the
> > dhcp requests ask for a longer lease period?  Anyone know, how If
> > its possible?
> >
> I don't think you can change the lease time on the client side.

I assume that you could change it if you could get at the configuration.

(somewhat changing the topic)
This weekend I got burned by comcast suppressing DNS lookup errors.
Names that started with www (e.g. www.jjexample.com) that should have
generated "not found" errors instead returned the IP address of
search2.comcast.com.  I was setting up a monitor for a new domain
service and couldn't understand why the monitor was finding a service
even before the service was running.  comcast thinks that all name
service requests for www. names originate from people running browsers.
I finally got an email this morning that my opt out has been processed.
I filed a grumble with the FCC, but don't know if that will have any
impact.

Perhaps comcast is rolling out this DNS service to more of its network
and shortening the leases to allow rapid changes to the name servers
that get specified with the leases.

> They may be getting ready to give you a new IP address or otherwise
> change your networking configuration.  If that's the case, a 15 minute
> lease time is advantageous.
>
> -Mark
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp