>>> =A0http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Search_&_Transfer
>>
>> Your second link got broken. It should have been:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Search_%26_Transfer
>
>  Interesting; it worked for me.  I wonder if it's my mail software or
>my browser that fixed it?
>
>  Firefox 3.5.2 and Gmail.

Yes, interesting.  I definitely transmitted a literal ampersand in
the URL in the original message (cut'n'pasted right out of Firefox's
address bar) and that's how it came back to me (and how it appears in
the GNHLUG Wiki); no MIME encoding or anything like that was involved.
And my mailer (exmh) was able to recognize it and correctly hand it back
to Firefox.  Is it bad form to use literal ampersands in emailed URLs?
Or for Wikipedia to use one in theirs?  Are ampersands reserved as a
separator when supplying parameters via CGI?