My boss bought a Western Digital MyBook World Edition with 4TB (2TB in
RAID1) for use as a backup device so we can free up some of our
expensive SCSI drives. For $600, this is a decent buy. While it is set
up for Windows, it runs Linux and has sshd set up so you can enable it
via the web interface. While rsync v3 is installed, some other utilities
are not, so it is best to install optware to get things like rsnapshot,
sudo, and a decent cron. However, it is slow. I am seeing about 6GB/HR,
so it works fine as a backup device because rsnapshot uses rsync with
the --link-dest flag, so subsequent backups transfer only incrementals.
However, I would NOT recommend it as an NFS or SAMBA server unless you
really want to enforce speed limits on your network :-)

On 09/17/2009 04:09 PM, Neil Joseph Schelly wrote:
> I'm looking to build a small Shuttle barebone machine into a NAS running
> Linux.  The intent of the machine is to be a networked PC with lots of
> storage in a RAID array, made available over the gigabit network interface
> via Samba, NFS, and maybe iSCSI protocols.  I'm curious what experience
> others have with this sort of stuff in general, but two immediate questions
> come to mind about processor and memory performance.
>
> I can go the low-power, low-heat route and get a single-core processor and a
> single memory stick of minimal quantity.  Or I can upgrade a bit, get a
> dual-core processor with 2 sticks of dual-channel memory.  Or something in
> between.  What I don't know is how much impact processor speed, multiple
> cores, memory capacity, and dual-channel memory has on disk I/O, network I/O,
> software RAID processing, etc.
>
> I like the idea of a small low-power, low-heat appliance, but will going too
> low on those negatively impact performance much?  The cost difference between
> a single-core processor with 1GB of memory and a dual-core processor with 2
> sticks of 1GB dual-channel memory is insignificant, so that's not much of a
> concern.
> -N

Jerry Feldman <g...@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix