On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Bill McGonigle <b...@bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> 1) retail brand names aren't terribly useful, they change vendors fairly
> often

  I've noticed that.

  Retail brand names perhaps may be more useful when it comes to
determining support/customer service history.  Although past
performance does not guarantee future returns, of course.

  My first thought was Intel, but it appears they don't make USB
adapters, only chips/boards that go inside other products.

> 3) You should test in your environment.

  In this case, my environment is "I want some adapters to keep on
hand for whatever random people bring in off the street".  :-)

> 4) Automatically disqualify any part that comes in a USB form-factor with a
> swivel-antenna attached to it but when you crack open the plastic case
> there's isn't anything attached to the supposed antenna, which is really
> just a piece of plastic ...

  HAH!

  And I bet you can find online forums with people who swear that the
given product is better because of the larger "antenna".

  My cow-orker found something that came with what looks like a
*plastic* parabolic antenna dish.

  (My problem with the consumer product space is not that P.T. Barnum
was right, but that it appears the market for non-suckers is too small
to realize any product availability.)

-- Ben