On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Benjamin Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  For the TL;DR crowd: Zealotry does not help the cause.  It hurts.
>
>  Reality check time.  I suggest zealots take note.  The way you and I
> think is not how most mainstream people think.  If you insist on
> closing your eyes to how the people complaining see things, don't be
> surprised when they continue to complain and just get pissed off.
>
>  If you tell them someone all their concerns about Linux are moot,
> they may *believe you*.  That sets up false expectations.  Then they
> try Linux and discover it *isn't* just like MS Windows.  It's better
> in many ways, worse in some others.  But you told them their concerns
> were a non-issue, when it turns out they still matter.  At best, they
> will feel let down.  At worst, they will go back to Windows, because
> they will feel Linux lies about what it can deliver.

The GPL explicitly and exclusively empowers zealotry.  Windows and Mac
EULA's disallow it. So your concerns over zealotry are a non-issue. I mean,
you just have to look at how much Linux adoption can be attributed to
zealotry already!  Anyone with a superior attitude will tell you that they
have gotten more friends with vinegar than with honey.  Despite common myth,
national taste tests have proven that vinegar is preferred over honey by a
2/3rds majority and that 14.6% of all statistics are completely made up.  If
you don't agree, then you are in the minority and are therefore of no use to
the collective, and therefore your concerns are a non-issue, pending
assimilation.  I have used "therefore" twice in once sentence and therefore
am undisputiable right, therefore.

Besides, isn't attacking zealotry as wholly inferior... an act of zealotry
itself?

--Alan "just fanning the flames" Johnson