Tom,

>Networking Linux can do vlans, VPN, firewalls in the base install.  Its
>very flexible in what you allow to be exposed.

AWESOME with the networking mention.

The BSD guys often said in the early days that they had a better
networking stack, but I am fairly sure that Linux has caught up. :-)

More than that, Linux supported more networking types than any other OS
I know. X.25, uucp...you name it.   Linux even has a FOSS version of
DECnet.

/* Aside

The project leader for the DECnet Linux project wrote to me after DEC
had been purchased by Compaq and Compaq was "merged" with HP, and asked
if I thought that "DEC" would mind the project using the name "DECnet".

I gave him the "Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper" answer:

"It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission."

and in this case it was literally true, as I did not know if there was
anyone left to the DECnet group at HP.

The DECnet Linux project gave DECnet Phase IV functionality to Linux,
which allowed Linux to talk to VMS systems that only had DECnet, and to
LAT boxes (this was a bunch of serial lines tied into a box and then
hooked to the ETHERNET) which would handle terminals, printers and other
serial devices.

I thought that this project added to DECnet's life, and that
DEC/Compaq/HP would have to be crazy to object.

But sadly I now see (as of February 10th, 2010):

http://www.csamuel.org/2010/02/19/decnet-now-orphaned-in-the-linux-kernel-for-2-6-33

So just like I said "RIP" to Grace Murray Hopper, I now say "RIP" to
DECnet Linux.

*/

Warmest regards,

maddog