On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Benjamin Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Bill McGonigle <b...@bfccomputing.com>
> wrote:
> > On 03/29/2010 09:34 PM, Benjamin Scott wrote:
> >> "Yes, this means you'll be a better programmer if you get a bigger
> monitor."
> >
> > FWIW, I got a 24" LCD display for this reason, but it turns out to be
> > slightly too large.  I have to turn my neck to see the entire screen.
>
>   Increase the distance between the screen and your eyes.  HHOS.
>
>  Something which I've long thought should be done but which no
> mainstream OS GUI I've seen does well is increasing screen resolution
> to increase quality of rendering while keeping the human information
> density per inch around the same.  Practial upshot: Fonts and window
> trim and the like rendered at a high DPI to improve their legiability,
> while keeping text and widget sizes big for the many people who have
> poorer eyesight.  I know plenty of people who can't make out anything
> at a resolution much higher than 1024x768.  We've got these huge LCD
> panels and tons of graphics horsepower being used for word processing
> and spreadsheets; it'd be nice to put that to use making things easier
> to read.
>
>  (I run my LCDs at their highest resolution and a small font size;
> I'm not one of those people.  But I sympathize with their plight.)
>
> -- Ben

I've got 2 dell P1130 monitors running 1856(?) x 1440.  Upgrading from
Fedora 11 to 12 had brought them down from 19xx x 1600
My eyes are finally needing larger pixels so I left it.
I find myself using ctrl-shift-+/- in firefox & gnome-terminal these days to
increase the fonts of the content.  I don't think most OSen let you do that

Now one monitor's red is going.  Try finding a monitor with > 1200
vertical.  1440 to 1200 is a big drop in screen realestate.