On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Gerry Hull <ge...@telosity.com> wrote:
> If a bandwidth provider says they will deliver me 10Mpbs,
> and  (non-real-life) let's say a content source can deliver data to me
> at 10Mbps, I should get 10Mbps throughput.

  As you say, that's not a realistic example, so I'm not sure what
good it does to raise it.

  One of the many misconception people have is that if they have a "10
Mbit/sec Internet connection", then they have dedicated 10 Mbps pipe
to every uplink or peering point on their provider's network.  That's
simply not true.  That 10 Mbps is is the nominal rate from the
subscriber interface (modem, etc.) to the first concentration point
(generally the CO or head-end).  From that point on, bandwidth is
shared and oversubscribed.

  The result is, someone sucking Bittorrent all day uses substantially
more resources than someone who reads email, browses the web, and
watches the occasional YouTube video of drunk college students.  I
can't blame providers for having a problem with that.  (I can, and do,
blame Comcast for their poor handling of it.)

  You can, of course, arrange for a higher service level with good
providers (not Comcast).  Such service costs orders of magnitude more.
 You think $80/month is bad?  Try hundreds or thousands of dollars per
month.

> - An open internet means if I want to bit-torrent all day from a site
> who can deliver me content at rated speed, I can.

  Sounds good to me.  The problem is people don't seem to be willing
to pay for it.  They want to pay the same no matter how much they use.
 See above.

> - An open internet means that if I want content of a certain type
> (VOIP traffic, for example) which competes with a product my bandwidth
> supplier happens to provide, I can be sure the traffic will be
> delivered without hindrance or fiddling.

  At first read, that sounds good to me.  But consider:  What if a
subscriber wants to pay more for their packets to be given higher
priority?  Say I'm a VoIP user, and I don't want my quality to go in
to the mud just because there's a surge in Internet traffic because
there's some high profile media event happening.  I'm willing to pay
more for that.  How does that fit in?  What if it's not a subscriber
but a provider?  What if it's a VoD provider who wants to make sure
their videos always look good and is willing to pay for it?

  As you say, there's a real conflict-of-interest in many of these
companies (Comcast, TWC, etc.)  They sell communications transport,
plus voice and TV over it, plus content itself.  But at the same time,
there are legitimate reasons to impose selective priorities and
limits, as described above.  That's one of the reasons structural
separation seems to be an ideal solution, at least in theory.  It
reduces or removes the conflict-of-interest.  It should also let
subscribers more easily switch providers, and lower the barrier to
entry for new providers.  I'm just not sure it's a practical
possibility in the US cultural/political/economic
whole-sort-of-general-mish-mash.  I hold out some hope; that link Ted
posted is intriguing.

  Assuming structural separation proves impractical, I'm not sure what
the next-best-thing would be.  I suppose a simple solution would be to
tell the big providers they have to treat all packets equally, and
limit themselves to simple bandwidth caps, but there are potential
problems with unintended consequences there, as noted above.

  I got an email from Comcast last month.  They now display a "Usage
Meter" in my account information on their website.  Currently, they
claim I've used 7 out of 250 GBbytes so far this month.  As you note,
they're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, but
because they're threatened by legal action.

-- Ben