On 04/07/2010 04:08 PM, Coleman Kane wrote:
> (ca. 1915):
>
> http://www.orau.org/PTP/collection/quackcures/standradiumsolution.htm
>
> Sure, today we all are taught that radiation is bad today, and so we all
> know it is. However, how much of this knowledge is due to government
> regulation via the FDA, etc... and public standards of education?

Marie Curie died in 1934 of radiation poisoning.  You'd expect an FDA to
know in 1915 that it was dangerous?

> What
> alternative to these institutions has a track record of providing
> sufficient confidence in our consumables marketplace?

Underwriters Laboratories is a great example - insurance companies use
it to control the risk of the assets they insure, and people buy
insurance to control their own risks.  A great negative-feedback loop.

There's little competition to the FDA in the US because it's hard to
compete against a 'free' government program.  But I do subscribe to
Nutrition Action from CSPI ($12/yr) to get a much more science-based and
less corrupt idea of what foods are good or bad for me.  In other
countries without a strong central food authority there are independent
third-party evaluators and certifiers.  If they become
unreliable/corrupt, they'll lose reputation and be replaced.  Not so
much with the FDA, even now with Monsanto's chief lobbyist as the FDA's
'food-safety czar'. _Food Inc._ is a great watch for a sub-two-hour
summation (on Netflix streaming, BTW).  The Stonyfield/WalMart
partnership against rBGH is a striking contrast.

In a thinly-veiled effort to remain on topic, the same potential applies
with the FCC, though I don't know their agency to have such corruption
problems.  Except that an agency tasked with maintaining radio frequency
registrations (a natural scarcity) is busy trying to tell private
network operators how to manage their networks.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC