On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Ted Roche <tedro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Apparently attackers are going after "keyboard interactive"
>> authentication, which is separate from "password authentication".
>>

> So, even if I have set PasswordAuthentication no in my sshd_config,
> there's still a way to ssh into the server without a key pair? That's
> confusing.

  The OpenSSH server has a built-in password prompt/input system, but
it can also farm that job out to PAM or other suitable technologies.
There are other ways to use a keyboard for authentication than
standard Unix passwords, so this isn't just complexity.
One-time-passwords and two-factor things like those RSA SecurID tokens
both require user input, for example.

  It's a good idea to explicitly disable any authentication methods
you're not using.

-- Ben