On Monday, January 03, 2011 05:28:23 pm Benjamin Scott wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Tom Buskey <t...@buskey.name> wrote:
> > For its time, the Indy was pretty cool.
>
>   SGI was the Unix world's answer to the Apple Macintosh: Physical
> design is colorful, bold, almost artistic; all the OEM pieces work
> together very well; oh-so-pretty desktop GUI; utterly incompatible
> with anything third-party; way more expensive than everything else.
> ;-)
>
>   Now, of course, with OS X, Apple has reclaimed that particular
> niche.  There's a strange kind of symmetry there.

I can remember seeing Jurassic Park and seeing all those SGI workstations all
around the place, with a Connection Machine as a background prop.  Coming from
a Tandy 1000/Apple II world when I was young the graphics floored me.  I think
that shaped my mind that Unix was a high-end scientific and visualization
operating system rather than the almost purely server world it's in right now.
This also drove me to start using Linux as well.

I remember Apple having a flavor of Unix in the early 90s.  I used it only
once and found it somewhat awkward to use.  Going with a re-made NeXTStep was
definitely the better choice.

-Ryan