On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Ryan Stanyan <ryan.stan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, January 03, 2011 05:28:23 pm Benjamin Scott wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Tom Buskey <t...@buskey.name> wrote:
> > > For its time, the Indy was pretty cool.
> >
> >   SGI was the Unix world's answer to the Apple Macintosh: Physical
> > design is colorful, bold, almost artistic; all the OEM pieces work
> > together very well; oh-so-pretty desktop GUI; utterly incompatible
> > with anything third-party; way more expensive than everything else.
> > ;-)
> >
> >   Now, of course, with OS X, Apple has reclaimed that particular
> > niche.  There's a strange kind of symmetry there.

I remember seeing a nice Macintosh emulator for Irix once.

FWIW, the Indy is a bit faster then the Indigo (not Indigo2).  The one I'm
offering is a later model with a MIPS 5000 chip.

> I can remember seeing Jurassic Park and seeing all those SGI workstations
> all
> around the place, with a Connection Machine as a background prop.  Coming
> from
> a Tandy 1000/Apple II world when I was young the graphics floored me.  I
> think
> that shaped my mind that Unix was a high-end scientific and visualization
> operating system rather than the almost purely server world it's in right
> now.

I think Nvidia was founded by ex SGI people.

> This also drove me to start using Linux as well.
>
> I remember Apple having a flavor of Unix in the early 90s.  I used it only
> once and found it somewhat awkward to use.  Going with a re-made NeXTStep
> was
> definitely the better choice.

A/UX.  It ran on the 68k systems and was based on AT&T Sys V.3.  It would
run System 7 programs.
None of it is in MacOSX which is a Mach microkernel with FreeBSD derived
system on top.

I'd like to find a copy to run on a IIci systems I have.