On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Benjamin Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Bruce Dawson <j...@codemeta.com> wrote:
>> Or maybe this message is inappropriate if GNHLUG is a 501(c)3 instead of
>> a 501(c)4. (I couldn't determine what type of organization GNHLUG was
>> from the Wiki - at least not by searching for '501'.)
>
> <board member>
> B1. GNHLUG is a registered non-profit corporation in the State of New
> Hampshire
> B2. GNHLUG has not applied for IRS Federal tax-exempt status at this time.
> B3. Volunteers interested in facilitating B2 are welcome!
> </board member>
>
> -- Ben

While I don't know all the intricacies of the various 501(c) types, I recall
we had problems at the Boston Computer Society back in the '90's due to
BCS's 501(c)3 status. When BLU was part of BCS, we got in trouble for
protesting the Communications Decency Act, because as a 501(c)3 we were
explicitly prohibited from participating in political action.

AIM abreauj / JABBER j...@jabber.blu.org / YAHOO abreauj / SKYPE zusa_it_mgr
Email j...@blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9