I've played some mp3s using 'mocp' and sounds a distant on one
channel(?) but may be something to fix in the alsamixer.  For example
listening to 'Face The Face' its like I'm next to the chorus &
keyboards and Pete Townshend is off in the distance.  The settings for
Master/PCM/Mic are all the same levels in the midrange.

As for the optical audio out, I don't have thing to plug into it.

FWIW, I've not been successful using arecord to grab sound from the mic.

-marc

Marc Nozell (m...@nozell.com) http://www.nozell.com/blog