On 06/17/2011 12:25 AM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> Indeed--where `whether something is 64bit-clean' was a natural question
> to ask a few years back, 64-bit machines were unusual `specialty' hardware,
> and many sofware projects just didn't have anyone involved who had
> access to such machines..., now I find myself fielding questions
> from users (though only occasionally!) about whether my packages
> are `known to work on 32-bit systems', and I know that I'm not alone--
> I've seen messages on the mailing-lists for some of the embedded
> projects with which I'm involved, where people ask things like:
>
>     Is it possible to get a build of the toolchain that runs
>     on 32-bit hosts?
>
> I have a single 32-bit x86 machine left running in my workshop,
> and don't have any plans to replace it with a similar vintage
> when if it ever finally dies--I wouldn't even know where to
> get x86-32 hardware, anymore. Thank goodness for chroots
> and virtual machines, I guess.
>
> Reminds me of maddog's remark in his section on linuxpromagazine.com:
>

> http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/Do-not-say-Closed-Source-or-Proprietary-Software-instead-say-Legacy-Software
>
> ... that `closed source' it's not merely closed source, but `legacy'--
> from the moment that the binaries ship.
>
> Seeing Adobe's comments, I posted this remark on identi.ca, yesterday:
>
>     Adobe suprised that only 1% of downloads are for legacy
>     software that doesn't work or doesn't exist (wait—what?):
>     http://lwn.net/Articles/447576/

Having been in the 64-bit world for 15 years I can comment to some
extent. For the most part a 32-bit program will run fine on a 64-bit
Linux. The main issue is that the vendor provide the appropriate 32-bit
libraries, and Red Hat certainly does this with Fedora and RHEL. Also,
you can expect a 32-bit application to run a bit faster on a 64-bit
Linux than on a 32-bit Linux on the same hardware platform.
The issue with Flash is that the 32-bit flash library will work fine on
a 64-bit system with Firefox 64-bit through a wrapper (nsplugin). Or you
can run the 32-bit Firefox. AFAIK, you can only download 32-but Firefox
directly from Mozilla although most Linux distros carry the 64-bit version.

I've worked with companies who had native 32-bit and 64-bit builds of
their products on various Unixes. Some vendors' 32-bit builds ran faster
than their 64-bit builds, and others found their 64-but build ran faster.

Additionally, AFAIK, neither AMD nor Intel make 32-bit chips any longer.

My issue with 64-bit flash is that a couple of web sites don't render on
the latest 64-bit flash, so I downgrade to the older flash.

--
Jerry Feldman <g...@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix