My own day job has me with a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 which has been pretty
solid and fast.  It came with XP and is ready for 7 and I have a vm on it
with CentOS 6.   The company is now issuing more Thinkpads that come with
8GB RAM and an option of RH, Fedora or Ubuntu.   The RH laptop of a
colleague is blazingly fast.

I got spoiled, though, by a Lenovo IdeaPad, and prefer lugging that around
to toting the laptop.  The IdeaPad has 2GB RAM and is running WattOS very
nicely.