On 4/12/12, Joshua Judson Rosen <roz...@geekspace.com> wrote:

> I have experience with ZaReason, and recommend them:
>
>     http://www.zareason.com/
>
> I know people who enjoyed their dealings with System76, also:
>
>     http://www.system76.com/

I'll consider these, thanks.

> When I bought my and my wife's Thinkpads, mine was 1 generation old
> and hers was the latest generation; mine was *relatively* straightforward
> to get everthing working with Debian, but still needed a day or so of
> consulting thinkwiki.org and fiddling. My wife's took almost a month
> to get working right. If want to use the latest release of Ubuntu,
> I hear that's relatively straightforward to get working on
> just about anything because Canonical does a lot of integration work
> *with current- and next-generation hardware* (which is presumably
> part of the rationale behind their 6-month release-cycle),

I'm not really fond of the direction that ubuntu has been going, but I suppose
that I can change the UI.

> Oh, also:
>
>     * Thinkpads appear to be the last refuge of people who like the
>       `pointing stick' interface; ZaReason's laptops, like almost
>       everyone else's, all use touchpads.

I find the touchpads annoying enough (my thumb brushing it
unintentionally) that I don't like either, and virtually always use
an external mouse.  But the nub is no draw for me.

>> Any bad experiences with the i7 CPU?

I'm thinking of stuff along the lines of the virtualization mode not
working well with, say, virtualbox.  (Though that usually tends to
be more of a BIOS problem: My Acer's CPU has the VT feature,
but the BIOS doesn't allow you to turn it on.

Thanks, Bill