"Brian St. Pierre" <br...@bstpierre.org> writes:

> On 06/17/2012 12:13 AM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> > What I will say, and maybe people will notice something in the phrasing...,
> > is that you're all welcome to sign up on identi.ca,
> > and follow me on status.hackerposse.com.
>
> Thanks for the phrasing of that pointer. It looks like it has support
> for private groups. Is it something like what I've seen google's
> "circles" described as? (I don't use google's social thing.)

The most natural analogy for me is that groups in StatusNet are like
mailing-lists in e-mail. You subscribe to the group, and anything posted
to the group shows up in your timeline. Public groups are like
mailing-lists with public archives: anyone can join, and non-members
don't receive the group's notices in their timelines, but messages
posted to a public group are themselves `public' by default so anyone
can see them in the group's public timeline. You can explicitly mark
a message as `private' when you post it, though, which means that
it's hidden from the public timelines (or `excluded from public archives',
in e-mail list terms).

Private messages posted to a person are visible only to that person
(and, obviously, only when the person is logged in).

Private messages that *aren't* posted specifically *to* anyone
(e.g.: either to a user or a group) are private to the *site*,
meaning that anyone with an account there can see them,
but they have to be logged in. This might be useful, say, if you
wanted to run a StatusNet site for your family, where you have
`family newsletter' stuff that you want to want to share with
everyone in your tribe but not with outsiders, but you all
still get the opportunity to follow news-sources outside the family
and relay it to, or comment on it within the safe confines of, your tribe.

Private messages posted to a group are visible only if you're logged
into the site *and* you're a member of the group.

Private groups require people trying to join to be approved before they
become members, and messages sent to a private group are automatically
flagged as private to the group, so that users have to be logged into
the site and be a member of the group in order to see them at all.

You can also just `make the whole site private', such that the only thing
that outsiders can ever see is the `login: ...' page. That's what you get
if you sign up for a `private statusnet site' by plugging your e-mail
address into <http://status.net/>. The caveat for that, is that it
prevents the site from federating with other sites.

> Is there support built-in for posting photos? Or would that require
> some add-on app/service?

You can attach photos/videos to posts, or link to ones hosted elsewhere,
and StatusNet will put a thumbnail into the post; e.g.:

    http://status.hackerposse.com/notice/6463

> I used facebook for a while but deleted my profile. (Some key friends
> have also deleted profiles, so the utility that *was* there has fallen
> way off.) I liked the ability to see pix of friends' kids and stuff
> like that. Didn't like the games & spammy stuff.

Are these `friends with cute kids' all just floating around with nowhere
to post that stuff, now that they've left Facebook? Or, what are they
using?

> I'd like a way to share photos, an occasional short video, and
> status-y kind of stuff.
>
> That's all easy enough for *me* to do, but:
>
> (A) I don't want to post everything publicly.
> (B) I don't want to have to create accounts for friends & family to be
> able to see stuff behind a privacy wall. (E.g. private posts in
> WordPress) Partly because it's a hassle for me. Partly because it's a
> hassle for them, and certain friends & family are unlikely to use it,
> or will bug me to remind them how to log in every time something new
> is posted.

So you want something where your friends/family can login with accounts
that they already have from Facebook or something, right?

StatusNet has connectors for other sites, so that they can actually do
that--see for example:

    https://identi.ca/main/facebooklogin

The barrier there is likely to be: getting them to believe you.

(though, I have had one person tell me: "I keep them separate because
 I don't want the people on Facebook to see what I post on identi.ca"...)

> (C) I'd ideally like a platform that allows posting by multiple users,
> with the same administrative constraints mentioned in (B).
>
> -Brian
> (PS status.hackerposse.com's git is 403)

Not if you pass the URL to *git*, it isn't. :)

There's really nothing inside http://status.hackerposse.com/.git
that you'd want to look at in your web-browser, anyway. It's just
a `bare' git repository--I'm not running gitweb or anything like that.