The several of these I've looked into (duck-duck-go is having a hard time
finding some of them) solve a problem that I don't have, writing the UI.

Some are inappropriate even for that, since they must interface using
the tty that their parent process (shell) is using, not some X server not
available over said tty connection.

I have no problem writing the UI myself (particularly in Python).  What
I haven't figured out is how to return the results to the parent shell.  Not
because I can't write it somewhere other than the tty, but because I don't
know how to get the shell to hook up a pipe to that extra fd, to which I
can write, and from which the shell can later read (while leaving the tty
connected to the usual fds.