I'm using Password Gorilla, whose storage format is, I think, Bruce
Schneir's PasswordSafe.

I know that there are clients for Linux, Windows and Android.  It's TclTk
based, so I assume that it's available for Apple stuff too.

You do have to take the file around with you.

If there's an easy way to merge two copies that have separately
added/changed entries, so I carry around a usb stick and try to remember to
copy any local file that I have changed to the stick.  I'm gun-shy of
modifying it directly on the stick, since I've had drive failures in the
past.  If I update on the box, and copy to the drive, there is at least a
working copy on the box.

Of course, copying from an android device back to the stick tends to
require an intermediary.

Bill