Ben Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM, David Rysdam <da...@rysdam.org> wrote:
> >
> > Why does an extremely simple, automatable task like "check if
> > posted grades have changed" require a human being to spend valuable time
> > poking buttons (or programming a very faithful simulation thereof)?
>
>   Because software these days is mostly about chasing buzzwords and
> fashion trends, and not about information.
>
>   The current crop of crap appeals to the same mentality that thought
> the <BLINK> tag was a good idea.
>
>   (Aside: I've just discovered (for myself) that if you search for
> "blink tag", Google makes all matching occurrences blink.)

I, actually, really wanted to use <blink> or it's CSS equivalent, recently.
Mere weeks ago.

It was in an embedded HTML-based UI with minimal content, where the
prime goal was just to get the user's attention by screaming
"OMG SOMETHING IS BROKEN DOESN'T IT LOOK BROKEN TO YOU!!!" at them.

Blinking text is a lousy way to convey information that someone actually
needs to parse, but a screenful of blink is great way to look broken.

I was pretty frustrated when I saw the hoops one needs to jump through
to make blinking text[1], these days, since the browsers
finally neutered both <blink> and text-decoration:blink.

Thanks to everyone who just couldn't restrain themselves--
you ruined it for us all, guys. I'm waiting for Mozilla to
save us from UPPERCASE YELLING BY FORCIBLY downcasing everything....

Footnotes:

[1]: http://www.jwz.org/jwz.css?ver=1
     cf. http://www.jwz.org/blog/2013/08/a-light-has-gone-out-on-the-web/

--