Conversely conversely, I never learned to use a ten speed bike because I
never had one.

|Things like proper syntax, rules of scoping, function definitions, and so
on can be weeds for some.

 Completely agree with that, because I felt as though all of
the aforementioned things were in the weeds. When starting I got super hung
up on them particularly syntax. However, for someone who is driven to
accomplish a goal, the cost of hardship or failure is learning. Does it
scare most people away? Yes it does, no argument there. That was my point
of highlighting the need for a goal. Rarely do kids want to learn something
just because someone told them it was interesting, more interesting to play
video games or something.

When I said khan and the like was too in the weeds what I meant is the
following. Say your goal is to get into calculus even though you have only
got to geometry in formal education. You are going to have to go through
30-80 hours of basic math before it stops complaining that you want to take
what you know and just jump into calc. (if it ever figures it out what's
going on at all) It's yet another sore area in terms of a spot to
lose interest. Same thing occurs on codecademy, this is just
the inherent flaw of that type of system. How could the server know where
you are at in your learning journey? It can't, unless it has been there the
whole way. Even if it could, the server would have to take the time to
figure it out regardless. Maybe stated in a more profound way, "how can
something know what you don't know you don't know". If you have a kid or
someone you are mentoring, it's likely you know where they are at. Even
better, given you are the one with the knowledge than it is you that is the
better resource than codecademy or khan. No curriculum necessary just
a worthwhile project and the interest to pursue it.

It took me way less than 30 hours to figure out what a semicolon was for...
Now, maybe it took me a lot longer to stop forgetting them (or putting them
in the wrong places...), but before that time I was already hooked and it
was just another part of solving the problem :)

Gee wiz, with python you just have to figure out how 4 spaces are superior
to tabs and you're all set, no semicolons needed.