On 09/28/2017 01:46 PM, Tom Buskey wrote:
> I work with OpenStack.  It manages images in Glance which sit above its
> object storage, Swift.
>
> On the POC clouds, you can use LVM as a backend for Glance.  Snapshotting is
> *very* slow.  30 minutes for a snap of a
> 80GB VM that's shutdown.

OK..., that surprises me. A lot.

For comparison, I just made an LVM snapshot of a volume 50% larger than that,
that's *in use*
(and mostly not in cache, if that even makes a difference, since my
buffer+cache shows as only 17GB *total*),
and the whole operation took only a fraction of a second:

        rozzin@zuul:~ $ time sudo lvcreate --name home_snap --size 128G
--snapshot zuul-vg/home
          Using default stripesize 64.00 KiB.
          Logical volume "home_snap" created.

        real    0m0.349s
        user    0m0.028s
        sys     0m0.060s

How in the world does that translate to 30-minutes (*5 thousand* x time)
for a volume only 0.63x as big?

When you say "snapshotting on top of LVM", does that entail actually making a
full copy
after the LVM snapshot is made--or something like that?