On 09/28/2017 02:14 PM, mark wrote:
> AWS/EBS is not LVM under the covers, it's more like NFS; and snapshots are
> more like VMware & how it does snapshots.

I have never used VMWare and have no idea how it does anything. Can you provide
more insight on what that means?

> The OS cache exclusion refers to read-ahead and write caching going on in RAM.

Yes, I got that. The reason I included that in the citation was actually that I
took it
as supporting my "this looks like atomic COW snapshotting" conclusion, because
that's
exactly what I'm accustomed to getting through LVM (snapshotting a block device
captures all of the blocks that *have actually been written* at the time of the
snapshot).