It was 1974 and the IBM 360 had an unsigned 64 bit clock that updated (I
believe) every ten milliseconds.

The operator booted the online transactional system and mistakenly typed in the
next day's date.   They IMMEDIATELY realized the error, shut the machine down
and brought it up again typing in the right date....but it was too late.

*One* transaction had been entered into the system on the "next day".

After the math was done that ONE transaction offset 400,000 other transactions
that day that would normally have an average calculated value of being two to
three days in the system to create an AVERAGE "in system" transaction time of
three or four hundred years (I can not remember exactly what we calculated).

Our reports could not even print out the number, it was too large for the field.

md