On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 22:22, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> With all due respect, there's been no follow-up on anything.  Just
> lobbing a request out to the list at large asking for volunteers
> doesn't work well.  We've had precisely 1 "planning" meeting where
> some number of action items were supposedly assigned, but there was
> never any follow-up to hold those who volunteered accountable.

Paul,

        You're right, and this is a case in point.  I've been
working around the clock with little sleep this week, and this
is the first time that I've had a chance to read non-urgent
email.

        At our organizational meeting, it was made clear that
to get things done, you need to be repetitive, keep stirring
the pot as it were.  This is hard to do when you're working the
kind of hours that I am!!

> This group is a social-group by nature.  The key to getting anything
> done and getting volunteers is to hold a meeting where people show
> up.  Then at that meeting to set a follow-up meeting for when the
> action items assigned can be reported on.  We did this way-back when
> with Jerry, and it's the only way we pulled  off the Linux Business
> Show.
>
> You had some great ideas, and had a lot of interest.  But you didn't
> generate any momentum or follow-through.  As a result, you feel like
> you've been left holding the bag.
>
> There are a lot of people in this group who would be willing to
> participate, but they're going to sit on the side lines unless they
> see some activity.  Reporting to a mail list that "I'm going to start
> this neat project" doesn't count as activity.  They want to see
> something actually happening, they want to show up to something and
> feel like they have something to do, and feel like they're part of
> something.

Perhaps they'd participate if something was "seeded", but none of
"those who do things" really have time to single-handedly make things
happen all the time.  If a project proposal reaps zero response,
then perhaps the project sucks, and shouldn't be done.  Had I gotten
any response, I'd have set up a meeting when all interested could
make it, and we'd be off and going.

maddog has some stuff to contribute, Ben's going to burn some CDs
and Ed's going to make labels.  Note that all of the participants
are from the group of "those who do things" though!

> Another problem is, you're not overly responsive to e-mail.  I can't
> count the times I've sent you e-mail over the years and never gotten
> a response.  That doesn't help thngs.

Email directly to me gets a response within minutes usually,
mailing lists on the other hand, are filed for reading in
batches.  If an email gets caught by spamblocker, that's
a different story...

> I don't mean to point the finger, especially since I haven't been the
> example of involvement lately, but a lot of this goes back to when
> you and I first took over as Co-Chairs.  Jerry was very good at
> motivating, involving, and rallying people.  We're not so good at it.
> Perhaps it's time to let others lead and for use to follow?

        This is what I said at the outset, that I feel it best to
resign, and let someone who has time take over.  I've since been
talked back into it at the meeting last week, at least for a
little while.

--
Rob Lembree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
JumpShift, LLC