On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 12:29 -0400, Ted Roche wrote:
> Rick at SwaNH asked if I could fill in on a panel discussing future
> software directions. This was better, imo, than having no GNHLUG
> representation at all. Next year, I'm hoping we can try better to
> have a slate of presentations ready to propose when the Call for
> Papers goes out. I have the impression our suggestions would be
> welcomed, just not thirteen days before they are supposed to pull off
> the conference.
>
> I have the problematic task of a ten-minute presentation on "Managing
> for Quality & Performance: Latest in Development Tools & Techniques"
> described (here: http://swanh.parkerhill.com/infoxchange/events.htm)
> as "Utilizing product lifecycle innovations to deliver better
> applications on time & on budget"
>
> My plan is to briefly point out and make parallels between Software
> Development in general, from waterfall to XP, COBOL to AOP, and point
> to some of the up-and-coming tools and techniques out there: Eclipse,
also the Java Net Beans IDE competes with Eclipse
> Subversion, Unit Testing, Python, Ruby, AJAX, wxWidgets, Social
> Software (wikis, blogs and RSS),  QuantaPlus, Mozilla/Venkman/
> SeaMonkey, a few pithy quotes from esr's TAOUP, and Small Things
> Loosely Joined.

I've been impressed with test driven development when I have used it.
Write a handful of test functions.  Then write the code the tests depend
on.  It forces you to think through the API *and* your test suite is
completed before the real code.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2005/02/03/tdd_pyunit2.html

> Along with a joke of two. That should fill ten
> minutes, eh?
If you get too many responses you'll fill a whole lot more than ten
minutes.

> I would welcome others insights into what they believe the Software
> Tools of the Future are, in concrete URLs or general terms.
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp.
1 Court Street, Suite 378
Lebanon, NH 03766-1358