On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Kurth Bemis wrote:
> nop apache is fine... i have to restart it every time the machine
> reboots...

  Easy way out: Put "apachectl start" in your "rc.local" startup file.  It is
"/etc/rc.d/rc.local" on Red Hat, but Red Hat is a little different in that it
puts all init scripts in "/etc/rc.d/".  I don't know about Debian.

> the mysql script that was posted didn't go to the background

  You can background any process by sticking an ampersand (&) at the end of
the command line, but I'm not sure that is the Right Thing to do with Apache.

> when i run the script ./apache start nothing happens.....apache doesn't
> start....the script does nothing.

  I can mail you the Red Hat /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd script, but I don't know
how useful it will be to you on Debian.  The Red Hat script essentially just
invokes "daemon httpd" if called with "start" as an argument, or "killproc
httpd" if invoked with "stop".  Both "daemon" and "killproc" are shell
functions which do pretty much what you'd expect from the names.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| "He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process he himself     |