Today, Bruce Dawson gleaned this insight:

> For the whole system, its very easy:
>
>       echo 4096 >/proc/sys/fs/file-max
>
> Note that you'll have to do that at boot-time to (probably in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local).
>
> However, if you want to increase the per-process limit, its more
> complex - you have to rebuild glibc after changing the appropriate
> variable (I forget the name at the moment). And I believe its hard-
> coded to 512.

Yeah that's it!  It's not glibc though... I got curious so I checked
it out. From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/proc.txt:

   However, there is still a per process limit of open files, which
   unfortunatly can't be changed that easily. It is set to 1024 by
   default. To change this you have to edit the files limits.h and
   fs.h in the directory /usr/src/linux/include/linux. Change the
   definition of NR_OPEN and recompile the kernel.

Thanks for the reminder Bruce.

--
You know that everytime I try to go where I really want to be,
It's already where I am, cuz I'm already there...