> For the whole system, its very easy:
>
>       echo 4096 >/proc/sys/fs/file-max

You can also use the sysctl(8) command:

        sysctl -w fs.file-max=131072

> Note that you'll have to do that at boot-time to (probably in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local).

Just curious, but why would you have to do this at boot time?  As far as
I can see you can increase it whenever (from get_empty_filp() in
fs/file_table.c):

        :
        :
        /*
         * Allocate a new one if we're below the limit.
         */
         if (nr_files < max_files) {
                f = kmem_cache_alloc(filp_cache, SLAB_KERNEL);
                if (f) {
                        nr_files++;
                        goto new_one;
                }
                /* Big problems... */
                printk("VFS: filp allocation failed\n");
        } else if (max_files > old_max) {
                printk("VFS: file-max limit %d reached\n", max_files);
                old_max = max_files;
        }
        :
        :