> At this point we can ping the system, but we can't access it at all. Ssh
> is apparently down, as is apache, sendmail, and inn. It responds to all
> connection requests instantaneously with a "Connection refused" error,

This usually means that the network interface is up and running
but that there's no listener on the port.  Perhaps (for instance)
your inetd has died.

> In the meantime, we got a report from someone that the system is pounding
> their network on port 113, at roughly 50-60 request per minute.

113 is the "authentication" service.  The associated daemon for this
is "identd".  Here's the "description" from the identd man page:

DESCRIPTION
       Identd  is  a  server  which implements the TCP/IP proposed
       standard IDENT user identification protocol as specified in
       the RFC 1413 document.  identd operates by looking up specific
       TCP/IP  connections  and  returning  the user name of the
       process owning the connection.  It can optionally return other
       information instead of a user name.

        -- Farrell