Hi John!

I'm not familar with the syslog output you have, but I assume the "(113)" is
a port number on the remote system - that's likely the identd process, which
is frequently used to either:

1) Verify the identity of a mail sender.
2) Discover potential user names on a system.

So, going *way* out on a limb here, I'd say that you have a gazillion sendmail
processes and the system has run out of process slots. Either someone is trying
to use your system as spam relay or its a deliberate attempt to swamp your
system. Probably the former (why else would your system be trying to autheticate
a remote user).

Assuming this is a linux box with a default sendmail configuration, if you
disconnect the network cable, then usually the system will come back after about
10 minutes (and most/all the sendmail processes have died off). But you have to
be quick and stop the sendmail daemon, otherwise the spammer will flood the
system again.

--Bruce