Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there knew of software for Linux or Unix
that allows one to share a modem device over the network? E.g. a Comm
program (say pppd) running on computer A is able to use the modem device
(say /dev/ttyS0) that exists on computer B.

I believe I have heard of such things for DOS/Windows, but I can't
seem to find anything like this for Unix. My plan is to setup a backup
internet connection (PPP dialup) for my firewall box, but the modem is
on another machine in the LAN.

I was able to rig up a quick kludge that uses rsh to glue a
master+slave pty on one machine to a process (e.g. cu) talking to a
modem device on a 2nd machine. pppd acts at though the pty is a local
modem.  Amazingly it works, but it usually wedges itself after about
30 mins and so I was wondering if there was a more careful solution out there.

Thanks,

Karl

PS: I realize for $30 I could get a 2nd modem and jam it into the firewall
box, but these software-only solutions are so much more fun ;-)