Well hello Dave Hardy,
    It sounds like you have described my fun filled weekend.
I added a 10 gig drive and sound blaster 1370 card and symlink 5 10/100
auto sensing hum to the mix .
I had to re build my "wifes" windows side of the machine after a 6.2
upgrade.
I found that lilo still allowed my dual boot though.
How did you go about the upgrade.......... default GUI or text mode? ( I
used the gui)
I ask because there is a section that asks what you want to default
boot.
My understanding is that when lilo comes up at boot time hit esc and
your options will be presented.
My wife would normally type in dos (as linux is the default) to go into
windows.
if linux isn't there you should revisit the gui upgrade and keep a close
eye out for the "do you and to boot from MBR........." page.
It allows you to toggle between dos or linux or whatever is there.
There is even a handy check mark next to the os set to default.

Rob Yelle
"linux is your friend"