My warning is about Caldera, not the Viao.

I've had bad experiences with two different Caldera versions,
and remember seeing a couple of negative reports about Caldera
on this list.  OTOH I've had no good experiences and recall
seeing no positive reports.  So I'd advise avoiding that distro.

FWIW I have two dual-boot laptops, a Thinkpad with Win98
and Corel Linux and a Dell Inspiron multi-booted 9using System
Commander 2000, a less than fully polished product btw)
with Win98/Win2K and RH 6.2.  The thinkpad spends most
of its time in Windoze, but Corel has looked very good when I've
been there, just haven't had time to homestead it fully yet.  The Dell
spends most of its time in RH, the GUI seems clunky but RedHat is
otherwise fine.

If the Corel visual package is an indication of the product quality
I'd recommend it for anyone who is used to the Windows level
of GUI-ness, and I'd expect that folks used to the C> command
line prompt should find almost any Linux package comfortable, so
choose the distros accordingly.

Check out the Linux Laptops page at
<http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/>
for a lot of good info and pointers.  I've found there was no
particular angst in getting either system set up and going.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

THANKS!

--Bruce McCulley