On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Bruce McCulley wrote:

> Derek Martin wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Bill Freeman wrote:
> >
> > >       A coworker has a Sony Vaio, and I'm going to help him set it
> > > up to dual boot with Mandrake 7.0 (single CD that I picked up at the
> >
> > P.S.  I would recommend you give him the latest and greatest of whatever
> > distro you give him, just so that he has all the niceties that each new
> > release brings...  RH7.0 is out and all the feedback I've heard on it so
> > far has been very positive.  Also I believe the latest Mandrake is 7.1
> >
> > I'd recommend you stay away from Caldera and TurboLinux...  I personally
> > thought Caldera sucked and that seems to be the consensus; and while I
> > have no experience with Turbo most of the people I talked to who did
> > seemed to think it was trash too.
> >
> > Debian gets a lot of kudos here, but it's a bear to install as compared to
> > some of the others.
>
> Interesting that Corel is Debian based and the install was about as slick
> as it is possible to get.

Corel is, in my experience, a dumbed-down, handicapped Debian.  There
are tons of things that it's missing... though I'd be hard-pressed to
remember what.  I'll give you that their installer is easy.  I can't
really say too much else about it since I was playing with corel on a
pre-installed (by one of my coworkers) system, and I never did an install.

They also do a lot of little, really annoying things.  Like all of a
sudden kde apps are now Corel apps.  Grrr.

--
Derek Martin
Senior System Administrator