[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> for instance, being accustomed to DEL deleting the character under the
> cursor (C-d in emacs), can I change that key-binding in .emacs?? And,
> also important, will changing it break 10 other things.....

To solve this particular problem, you might want to consider
using XEmacs.  Sure, I could tell you about keymaps under Emacs and
XEmacs, but usually after I delve into this subject I feel like
stabbing myself in the eye with a pencil.

But if you're using XEmacs, use the menus like this:

Options->Customize->Emacs->Editing->Basics->Delete Key Deletes Forward

and this will do what you want.

For a beginning emacs user who wants to customize things, I highly
recommend using XEmacs.  The menu structure of XEmacs might make it
possible for you to customize XEmacs to your needs without learning
Lisp.

--kevin
Kevin D. Clark ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) |
Cetacean Networks, Inc.                            |   Give me a decent UNIX
Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)                             |  and I can move the world
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (PGP Key Available)       |