On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Tilly, Lawrence wrote:

> Hello, all.  My wife & I anticipate building a house this spring and have
> therefore not committed to any long-term ISP situation.  Instead we've just
> been using various freebie providers for Win (netzero, altavista, etc).  The
> way these are set up you get the free access by putting up with a persistent
> banner ad and they do not allow non-Windoze dialups.  As a result I haven't
> done anything online w/ Linux for about a year.  Although I might suffer in
> silence through the winter (we hope to go DSL or CM when we move), some of
> the recent discussions are making me itchy.  I was wondering if anyone knows
> of a Linux-friendly freebie ISP (does anyone even do banner ads in X?) or
> even a pay service that's affordable (<$20), Linux knowledgeable and allows
> month-to-month (no contract).  We currently live in Epping, so our local
> dialup includes Exeter and some eastern portions of Manchester.  I may still
> just hold off, but I am curious what my options are.  TIA for any
> suggestions.

I use mv.com, and have been very happy.  They know & support Linux,
are starting a rollout of DSL around the state (alas, I'm 38,000 feet
from the CO), and have always given me excellent service.  Cost is $20
for 300 hours / mo, and they have phone #'s all over the state, and
are moving to a 500 number that is toll-free around the state.  That
includes web space, 2 e-mail accounts.

jeff
Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   phone:603.930.9739 fax:978.446.9470
Thought for today:  lase /layz/ vt.

 To print a given document via a laser
   printer.  "OK, let's lase that sucker and see if all those
   graphics-macro calls did the right things."