When I know my system was shutdown improperly, I generally run fsck
by hand.
boot into single user mode. Most linux systems:
LILO: linux S
Once in single user mode, you may need to enter your root password.
Your root file system is mounted read/only.
Assuming root is /dev/hda5 and your /home is /dev/hda7:
fsck -fsy /dev/hda5 /dev/hda7
The -f flag means force, -s is serial, -y is respond yes to queries. Last
spring after we had a power failure at Verio, the BLU server would not
boot. We had to run fsck by hand more than once. Once you get through
fsck successfully, then just reboot, and everything should be ok as long
as you did not lose any critical files.
On 13 Nov 2000, at 13:20, Bourdon, Bruce wrote:

> I've recently installed Red Hat 7 Linux.
>
> Jumping between Gnome and KDE I managed to crash the system, forced me to
> use hard reset.
>
> Now the boot up process fails during Linux's equivelent of MS-Windows
> "Scandisk" and the boot process halts.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> I will probably resort to a re-install, only losing the few hours of
> tweaking time, but I'd appreciate knowing how to fix this for the future -
> when I have much more at stake.
>
> Thanks.
> Bruce.

Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>