That frood Peter Cavender sassed:

> RedHat *does* start with root only mounted R/O.  in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, you can see where it mounts it R/W later on.  I
> have made systems that leave root R/O by removing this line.

Sure, but Ben's point was that when you boot into single user mode,by
the time you get a prompt, the file systems are all mounted
read-write.  Which, if you don't know this, is BAD.  You obviously CAN
change it, but only if you know that it needs changing (assuming you
want it to mount RO).

--
We sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
Was it just imagination stringing us along?