As I was griping about previously, my skanky old 33MHz 486
firewall box forced me off the air by eating its main disk
and I've been having no fun trying to get Linux reinstalled.
The general problem is that either Linux doesn't survive
the HW probes executed during startup of the various
"generic" kernels that come with the various distributions,
or else once the kernel actually starts up it can't see one
or the other of my NICs (3c509 and SMC8013, both EISA)

I started out trying to install Coyote (a Linux Router
Project derivative) which really appealed to me because it
will load from a floppy and then run "diskless", but after
many discouraging failures as described above I was forced
to fall back to one of the "normal" disk-based approaches.
I tried multiple versions of various distributions like
RedHat, Debian and Caldera, but all their generic kernels
eventually choked, even though all the distributions offer
different kernels configured in different ways in hopes that
one of them might not touch any fragile or cantankerous HW
in any way that might lead to trouble.

The breakthrough came after I began looking at the various
distribution booter images and discovered that most of them
are now laid out as bootable MSDOS floppies that load the
kernel via syslinux.  Since I'm currently running the
(2.2.17 based) Debian Potato distribution on one of my
internal machines, and was lucky enough to have grabbed a
local copy of the 2.2.17 kernel sources before I was forced
off the air, I built a no-modules Potato kernel custom-
configured for the 486 box.  Then I mounted (a copy of)
the official Potato booter floppy, overwrote its stock
"generic" kernel with my own, and was *finally* able to
start and run the installation procedure.

So, here's hoping something in this tortured tale might
help save somebody else's sanity in future.  Since Linux
is touted as being good for making old HW useful again, it
seems likely that I'm not the last person who'll be faced
with this sort of trouble.  Actually, now that I know I'm
not "stuck" with the stock generic booter kernels I might
even give Coyote another try, once I'm on the air again
and can get hold of the sources to build a kernel of the
appropriate version...