On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Even though Easy CD Creator (don't ask!) said the CD was created
> successfully, I can't read it now.

  If the drive did not finish recording correctly, the TOC (Table of Contents)
for the disc will be corrupted.  I am not sure you can do much in that case,
as the system needs the TOC to find out what is on the disc.

  A couple shot-in-the-dark things that might be worth trying:

  Put the disc in a Linux (or other Unix) system and run "dd if=/dev/cdrom
of=/path/file".  That will try to dump an image of the CD to a file.  You may
then be able to recover some or all of the data from the file.

  There are programs for MS Windoze (possibly other OSes, too) which bypass
the normal sanity checks when reading CDs.  They are designed to get around
various copy-protection schemes, but they may also be able to read some or all
of your data.

> Does anyone have any idea how to salvage stuff from a Joliet CD when this
> sort of thing happens?

  Joliet is just an extension to ISO-9660, like Rock Ridge is, so that should
not make much difference.  If you lose the Joliet records, you will lose your
Windoze Long File Names, but that is about it.  I imagine the contents of the
files are more important.

  Time for a public service message: Remember, kiddies, backups are your
friends.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Net Technologies, Inc. <http://www.ntisys.com>