But look at it from the perspective of a private, or even SOHO user.  There
is a good chance that they already have a CD-R or CD-RW in their box if it's
a recent purchase.  Not having to buy & install a new piece of (often)
expensive equipment such as a high end tape drive goes a long way to justify
the use of the CD as a backup medium.  My own personal concern is the use of
the CD-Rs because they become a throw away situation (as if AOL wasn't
already trying to overload our landfills with useless platters).  With a
CD-RW you can set up a standard full + incremental backup rotation using
your existing hardware without the environmental guilt.  Naturally, if you
do not already have a CD-R / RW and are buying it ONLY to use as a backup
system then the playing field becomes more level.

-Larry