In a message dated: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:25:24 EST
Benjamin Scott said:

>  The VXAs look very nice, although I haven't tried them myself.  My only
>worry with them is the single-source, semi-proprietary nature of the
>technology.  If Ecrix is the only one with the keys to VXA, and they go away
>(or turn nasty), what happens to me?  (Of course, VXA is hardly the only
>backup solution with these problems.)

The other problem with VXA is the lack of long term proven track record.
There are a lot of anecdotal success stories, and I haven't heard any horror
stories about them (yet :)  However, they haven't been around that long, so
there's no way to judge their longevity.  DLT has been around for a very long
time, and almost everyone is familiar with it by now.  It has it's downsides,
but they're quite well known.  AIT, though not as old, is in a similar place.
VXA is the newest kid on the block, and I don't know many people who have
direct personal experience with it, but it sure seems like everyone has heard
of it :)

Other than that, I have no opinion of VXA other than I sure would like to get
my hands on a drive and some tapes to play with it :)
--
Seeya,
Paul