In a message dated: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:35:32 EST
Tom Rauschenbach said:

>This post raises a significant issue that needs to be mentioned
>explicitly.  Some things cannot be backed up without special tools.

As I mentioned before, anyone who needs to perform complicated backups in a
complicated environment should really get W. Curtis Preston's book from
O'Reilly on Backups.  This guy is probably one of the world's foremost
authorities on backup and disaster recovery.

The average home user probably does not need this book, nor would someone who's
backing up a few systems over the network.  But anyone who's suddenly faced
with backing up a complex environment and has little backup experience should
probably get this book.

For anyone looking at backing up a small-medium non-complex environment
(i.e. nothing but basic filesystems, Unix in nature, no databases, etc.)
you should seriously check out the AMANDA software at http://www.amanda.org

Word of caution:

        Amanda is a complex beast.  It takes quite some time to get
        it up and running if you've never played with backup software
        and tape drives before.  It's documentation is there, but it's
        not always as clear as you think it should be (though when you
        you get the distinct feeling that the answer you just found
        was not in there the last 77 times you read this :)

        Amanda is free software.  So if your environment calls for an
        8 tape DLT stacker and a server to back up 5 nodes, you now have
        at least $5,000 to spend on quality hardware since your software
        is free (I've priced this config out for:

                Arkeia                   $5,000
                QuickRestore            $11,000

        Though hardware costs a lot, so does quality software!

--
Seeya,
Paul