On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> I seemed to recall that one could "multinet" an interface, eg:
>
> ifconfig eth0   1.2.3.4
> ifconfig eth0:1 2.3.4.5

  Yes.  This is called "IP aliasing" in the Linux kernel.  See CONFIG_IP_ALIAS
in the kernel configuration, and networking/alias.txt in the kernel docs.

> When I try this, though, I'm informed,
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

  Sounds like aliasing is not compiled into your kernel.  Are you using a
stock distro kernel or your own custom build?  If the former, what distro and
release?  If the latter, rebuild the kernel with CONFIG_IP_ALIAS turned on.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Net Technologies, Inc. <http://www.ntisys.com>