On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:45:26PM -0500, Tom Rauschenbach wrote:

> Nothing in principle.  I just can't figure out how to get apt-get to
> do what I want.  I used apt-update (or whatever) and finally got my
> sources.list file to point to the source CDs but I never could get
> sources installed.

Tom,

You need to have a deb-src line in your /etc/apt/sources.list.  Here's
a small section from my source.list file that was entered auto-magically when I
installed:

        # Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
        #deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
        #deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US

> As with other distros I've tried, getting Linux
> installed was a slam dunk; getting X windows working was a little
> worse but then I was stuck.  Gnome runs fine and even offers to run
> KDE but since KDE isn't their that won't work and I get figure out
> how to get kernel sources installed either.

Well, there are several ways to get the sources installed, you can:

        - use apt-get source <pkg name>
        - ftp the tar.gz of the package
        - get the .srpm of the package and run it though alien

Any of the above are perfectly valid methods of getting source, and I've
used them all (for those wondering why I would ever use the last one,
just try and download a .deb or .tar.gz of a package written and
maintained by RH :)

Also, to help you avoid further frustration in the future, I highly recommend
checking out the man pages and other docs for all the apt related commands:

        apt-cache(8)
        dpkg(8)
        dselect(8)
        sources.list(5)
        apt.conf(5)
        The APT Users Guide in /usr/doc/apt/

The debian web site also has a boat-load of documentation available as well,
which I find quite easy to read using Lynx (none of those pesky images to
get in the way while reading the docs :)

HTH,
--

Seeya,
Paul