> If it were solely up to me I would run Linux exclusively on that home system, but
>unfortunately I gotta share it with
> wife and kidz, even though the kidz have their own WinDoze boxes (their
> 56k modems are "too slow" so they tend to wanna use
> our machine equipped with cable modem, natch.)

        So then use the Linux box to share the cable modem....this is
        something that Linux does very well. In fact I think even Win98
        can do this now can't it? Isn't there something Internet Sharing
        thing that Microsoft invented with 98??

> Anyway, the C drive was getting full and the D drive,
> where I had RH installed, was needed for more space for work-related apps
> and files, unfortunately again, all WinDoze products.
> I was going to add a third drive but decided instead to build a whole
> separate machine and try out
> various flavors of Linux on it and the rest of the household would be off
> it completely.
> So I'm interested to continue hearing the pros and cons of the different
> distros in this group.
>
> Thanks to all for attempting to assist this still-newbie Linux user;  with any luck
>at all, I may be moving soon
> to a shop that runs Tru64 and RH, besides VMS and NT.

Ahh...tru64 and VMS....Alphas, now you're talking my language :)

--rdp

P.S. You may want to look into line wrapping on your mail program. At
least for me each one of your paragraphs came through on one line, makes
it a little difficult to read.

--
Rich Payne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   www.alphalinux.org