From: "Marc Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StarBand
> >     1) You need a 10 degree veiw of the horizon.  In most cases up here,
> > spec in the boonies, trees get in the way of having it at such a low
> > angle./.
> Mine is set at 32 degrees. I don't believe that there are any birds down
> that low (10 degrees).

  Thats very strange.  My friend actually had an installer come to look, and
he basically said no friggen way.  Of course, hes in the boonies in
Brookline.  I must have been mistaken in the 10 degree statement, but I DO
remember it was very, VERY low, aka, no way in heck to get over the trees
without cutting down half of Brookline..

> >     2) *WIN32* only.  There are two ways of connecting.  One is to use a
USB
> > based 'Satallite' modem.  Another is to have a Satallite interface card.
> > my knowledge, there are no drivers for these that will run correctly
under
> > Linux.  I could be incorrect, but when I searched, I came up empty.
> Not true. See my prior post on the topic.

  Now thats something I wasn't aware of at all.  Schweet..

> >     3) Decent bandwidth, but from looking at a live system in Mass
working,
> > it has crap latency.
> Yes, latency is an issue, particularly if you are a game player.

    Yep..  Agreed there..  :-(